Wednesday, November 28, 2007 AS3 PBKDF2 library

Now available at its Google Code project page.

Global settings and PBKDF2 basically done

Global settings and the PBKDF2 are basically done. Global settings needs to jump to the right mode (tag or file).

As for PBKDF2, I just wrote the function; I haven't used it, yet.

Since this part of the project might benefit other Amazon S3 applications, I'm releasing the PBKDF2 source code under a BSD license to help other developers, S3 or otherwise, and to show how your account information is protected. Wikipedia gives a good overview of PBKDF2, for those who are interested.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Tag cache making progress

The tag cache is very usable when reading existing caches, but there might be a bug in the cache writing function (or the calls leading up to it). The write code seems to be working, but it isn't plugged into the UI, yet.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 bug fixed

The difficult-to-track-down bug should be fixed. After hours of looking at debugging output, proxy logs, and packet dumps, it seems the Flash sandbox thought there was a security violation. What made it especially hard was that logging in always worked, so I assumed the bug wasn't with security. Basically is allowed, but isn't. Audioscrobbler provided me with a URL with an IP address.

Luckily, the URL doesn't seem to change. Reverse DNS gave a reasonable domain name, but it didn't actually resolve. I set a domain under a domain I control to resolve to that IP address. It makes sense that it's fixed, but that shouldn't be a fix.


I ran across the first ID3v2.2 tag I've seen, yesterday. This version was created in '98, and is considered obsolete. The more recent ID3v2.3 (also '98) is the most common version.

For some unknown reason, iTunes, according to Wikipedia (and other sources) "writes tags in Unicode ID3v2.2 by default." iTunes was released in 2001.

I can't think of a good reason for Apple to use it in the first place, and I can't think of a good reason for them to keep using it.